Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, April 01, 2007

1st & 2nd assessment by UOB for Management Associate Program & waiting...

The assessment/ interview session was the most exhausting one of all (comparing to other interviews). There was a forum and an assessment day on Friday evening and Saturday (whole day) respectively. This is none other than the Management Associate Program under United Overseas Bank.

After sending in my application, I received an email, requesting that I attend both forum and assessment at the Park Royal Hotel. THe forum was on Friday evening, which served to explain in detail the "WH" questions about UOB and what the MA program was all about - the job scope, future prospect, salary, benefits etc. I left home at 4pm, taking the ktm all the way to KL Central, then changing to the Monorail to reach Jln Bukit Bintang. Upon reaching, Mr. Chan Ka Hing said my hair was messy. (Note: I had my hair dyed n a new, wilder hair cut. So, I tied my hair which made me look younger, not as mature as I would have hoped for) Anyway, I spent 20 minutes in the restroom trying to groom myself to a better shape. Haha... Registration started at 6pm n Miss Foo was not at the venue yet. I bumped in Karen n Joyce. What a small world?! Hahaha... There were presentations from a few speakers and a lot of jargons were thrown out. I hardly understood the banking terms. Nonetheless, they made the forum a relaxed n light-hearted one. The top management people were friendly and they joked their way about during the Q&A session. There were of course a few people who stood out during Q&A n there were some who looked cocky - well, by 1st impression... After that was the reception - light food. Most of us hardly had dinner n we could only nibble here n there. We had to socialize with "top" people at the same time. Yi n I were hiding at a corner, trying to gobble down our food cos Yi's dad was waiting outside for us. However, we were unable to escape the eyes of a few. Probably, those few who approached us felt that we were isolating ourselves (haha) or maybe my bright, dyed hair attracted their attention (Vain? Yes...) We kinda "ran" away from the venue after that...

Saturday - 2nd day whole day assessment
Left Klang at 6.45am. Yi n I parked our car at KL Central, taking the monorail to Bukit Bintang. Reached there 10 minutes before 8am. The assessment started at 9am DURING BREAKFAST. There was hardly any chance to eat cos we had to show our socializing skills. Eating while talking probably isn't such a nice scene. After breakfast was the group discussion. We were divided into groups and debatable topics were thrown at us for us to discuss n state our comments. My group started with "Life is not about winning or losing. It's all about win-win". The following topics were "Life is a journey", "To err is human, To forgive is Divine" n "Positive attitude". I think That's about it... I obviously spoke my opinion from a psychology point of view. Joyce n I were in the same group. Our opinions did not differ much but we phrased it in different words. My group was moderate in their stating of comments. Some groups, as I was told, had dominating speakers. Lunch came after the group discussion...

Truthfully, even though there was no assessment during lunch time, we couldn't let our guards down. Had to be poised n mannerful at all times. The brain had to be operating every now n then... The short-listing was disclosed at 1.15pm. We were separated into 2 groups - through or not through. 4 of us passed the assessment.

The 2nd level assessment was interesting. There were activities involving 3 criteria - creativity, writing skills n presentation skills. We were divided into groups of 5 n were given the same assignment - to build an "egg catcher machine" with the materials given (e.g. newspaper, straws, tissue, paper clips) in 20 minutes. 2 eggs were dropped from a height of 5ft one after another. The function of the machine was to catch the eggs uncracked. Budgeting was also part of the assignment. My group's egg catcher did not work out as both eggs broke. THe next assignment was to improvise on the 1st machine to prepare for a 6ft egg drop. Since the eggs broke for our 1st machine, we had to rebuild from scratch, this time using the remaining materials, which were the more expensive ones. We had conflicts here n there cos some focused on not breaking the egg even if the egg bounces out while others focused on making it an egg catcher, as in making sure it doesn't bounce out in the 1st place. Given the time restriction (20 minutes also), we decided to make sure that the eggs don't break. Ours were the only group with both eggs not breaking at 6ft although they did bounce out. Our budget was of course higher than other groups... That was the end of the creative session.

I chose the topic of "Good leadership is vital to an individual's progress" to write about in 20 minutes. I had brain stuck sessions a little here n there but I managed to write a full page about it. Presentation was after tea time. We had to wait for our turn. The wait was horrible. THere was no rest for my brain as I kept thinking of what to say, reciting my lines. Fortunately for me, i needn't present my topic. My assessors required me to answer their questions - relating my essay to real life situations, more specifically, back to the egg catcher machine scenario. I dunno whether the assessors were satisfied with my answers but I felt satisifed n confident myself...

I'm wondering if my appearance would cause my being rejected from UOB. I seriously looked like a small girl in my tied hair, more of like a Japanese doll with my fringe. I couldn't let my hair down cos it looks very layered n "wild"....

We shall know the results in a week's time...

No comments: