Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, October 31, 2008

~Is medicine sufficient?~

I was just wondering. Is seeing a psychiatrist and taking medication enough to cure one from his/ her psychological/ mental/ emotional problems? For instance, for someone who is panicky, does taking anti-anxiety pills actually help him/her entirely? Wouldn't there be underlying causes to why the person is so anxoius in the first place? What if he/ she is stressed out? What if he/she is yet to overcome some previous unfinished business?

This thought actually popped into my mind when I accompanied my mom to the psychiatrist in PJ because she had trouble sleeping and she wanted, I guess, some prescribed sleeping pills to help her. I was presuming that my mom was still undergoing grief process since the death of my uncle a month ago, or perhaps she's too easily affected by the events which are happening around her, that those thoughts replay in her head non-stop to the extent of compromising her sleep.

I'm not keen on medicine especially when it involves the mental/ psychological/ emotional part of lives because medicine can only work thus far, on the biological level. It is unable to aid us in our cognitive processes and emotional functioning. I suggested to the doctor that my mom see a counselor (my mom herself was reluctant) and he told me to put that idea on hold for two weeks, to see if the medication would work on my mom. I was thinking why can't my mom do both simultaneously? I believe counseling would do her good, at least a sharing session, where she is able to get support from a trustworthy and credible person, instead of exposing herself to those anxiety-provoking events in her life and she is left defenseless against them.

What is it with the stigma against counseling or even psychology? It exists for a reason. If it didn't prove its value, it would have evaporated long time ago but it survived, with proof and evidence from tonnes and tonnes of research.

So, people... Open your minds... Stop locking yourselves in that squared box of yours...

No comments: