Generate Your Own Glitter Graphics @ GlitterYourWay.com - Image hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Chinese New Year Holidays coming to an end...

It is now the 8th day of CNY... n the whole celebration (by right) is gonna end in 1 week's time. Some has already started their work a few days ago but tomorrow will be the day where everyone is back at where they are suppose to be - be it workplace, school, college etc. I am still "rotting"... Until now, i have not attended any interview sessions. I do intent to.. Have applied for a few jobs online and am still waiting for their reply. Will be sending snail mails to respective employers as well...

Previously.. I thought I was going to specialize in the clinical field of psychology. I did a personality test and discussed with my career counselor, who suggested that I may not actually suit clinical or counseling, considering the way my personality report came out to be. After a long session of chat, he gave me new perspectives to think from and fed me with information about the working prospects for degree holders in psychology... As my ex-lecturer, i trust his counseling skills and experience. He suggested that I try my luck in marketing event management. Come to think about it, event management is an interesting and challenging job. It fosters a creative environment and provides opportunity of network building. It is worth giving a try anyway. He told me that he would personally recommend me to the director (in Help UC... Yes, it's back at where I started, the college that I had studied in)... I'll be seeing him tomorrow to pass him my documents. I guess the next step will be an interview. However, I'm not gonna be hanging only to this job opportunity. I'll still be waiting for other job opportunities, maybe things like PR or event management, preferably at nearer places which do not require too much petrol, toll or parking. Haha...

I understand that psychology is still at its baby level here in Malaysia but I believe that it's prospering, moving on to its toddler years. Yet, many misunderstands this field. This is what i find disappointing about... Then again, who is to be blamed? They are not the people in this field. THey are not obliged to understand this field. I may not even understand other fields as much as I think I do. So... no hard feelings... What people has misunderstand is that psychology is a field limited to counseling and counseling only, nothing else. The truth is psychology is a very very broad and general subject. As wat my brother's fren had said... it's something that is BSBH ("Bao sua bao hai" - a term from Money Not Enough)... Psychology is a scientific study of understanding human thoughts, behaviors and feelings. That's the basic definition of it. Almost every single thing in this world involves humans... human interactions, human communications etc. And as long as there are humans, psychology is always needed. So, we, as psychology graduates, can venture in almost, but not all, the jobs out there including marketing, HR, PR, social services, research, advertising, mass comm etc. Some have argued that human interactions is an accumulative skill attained over time. With experience, these skills are sure to come sooner or later. The thing is, why make it later? We have an advantage in this. I'm not saying that we can understand people with just a glance or a word or wateva not. It's just that we have learnt possible theories and explanations to events happening around us. We have learnt to be good observers, good listeners, to understand why people behave the way that they do... In a way, we have sped up our learning process and have attained skills that others may need 10 or 20 years down the road to acquire... OK.. I think i better stop my psychology "philosophy" here. It is of interest to me, but it may not to others. Like yesterday, I was very fascinated by hc's very very very super kuai cousin but hc found it normal n no big deal... Well... interests vary...

Hope to get some news on my job soon... Toodaloo!

No comments: